Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Terri Schiavo Case

In my GT class we learned about the Terri Schiavo Case.In 1990 a woman named Terri Schiavo fell into a coma. On February 25, 1990 she collapsed in her home in St. Petersburg, Florida in full cardiac arrest. She suffered massive brain damage due to lack of oxygen and fell into a coma which was soon announced that it was an irreversible coma. There was an immense amount of debate on if they should keep her alive or not. Her parents wanted to keep her alive, but her husband Michael Schiavo said that it would be better for her to die then to live like this in an irreversible coma. Many people had gotten involved with the case including Jeb Bush who was the governor of Florida at the time. This case was spread throughout the country and there was an abundance of controversy on the decision to keep her alive or not. She ended up dieng on March 31, 2005 at 9:03 AM Eastern time after being in coma for 15 years! Her feeding tube was removed on March 18 which is what caused her to die.

I personally think that the decision to dis-connect Terri from life support was justified. She was in an irreversible coma, so she had little to no chance of ever recovering. I don't think that anybody would want to live in a coma where all you can do is think and breath. If I was Terri I would want to die because I wouldn't want to live in a coma because then my family has to spend so much money on me and I don't want them to waste money on me when there is no chance for me to recover and they have to spend so much money on me and then can't use it for themselves. They can't use that money for my sister's education and for things they like. I also would hate to just lie there in bed for many many years doing absolutely nothing. As mentioned in NNBD it states how Schiavo's doctors and her court-appointed doctors expressed the opinion that there existed no hope of rehabilitation. This shows that there was no reason to keep her alive in a life where nothing can be achieved. Your life will not be good at all. David Gibbs said in an article on CNN he says she has the mental capacity of a 6-month-old. George Felos, Michael Schiavo's attorney, has said she lacks all mental capacity and spinal fluid occupies the space where her cerebral cortex was. I don't think you would like to live in a condition like this, this is why I strongly believe the right decision was to end her life.

1 comment: