Friday, January 6, 2012

Least to most controversial the 9 natal bioethical issues

1. Natural Reproduction
2. Fertility drugs: Prescription drugs which increase a woman’s chance of becoming pregnant
3. Carrier testing: Genetic tests of parents that show the risk of passing on a genetic disorder
4. Prenatal testing: genetic screening of fetus for genes that cause disorders
5. Artificial  Insemination: Insertion of sperm into female reproductive tract by syringe in a doctor’s office
6. Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis for Diseases: Fertilization of sperm and egg in a Petri dish. Embryos are screened for a certain genetic disorder.  Those without the defective gene are inserted into the female reproductive tract via a syringe in a doctor’s office.
7. In Vitro Fertilization: Fertilization of sperm and egg in a Petri dish.  Viable embryos are chosen and inserted into the female reproductive tract via a syringe in a doctor’s office.
8. Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis for Non-deleterious Traits: Fertilization of sperm and egg in a Petri dish. Embryos are screened for genes of non-deleterious traits (such as hair color, height, sex).  Those with desired genes are inserted into the female reproductive tract via a syringe in a doctor’s office. 
9. Cloning: The creation of an organism that is an exact genetic copy of another.

This is the order from 1-9 that I place the 9 natal bio ethical issues. I chose this order because to me it makes the most sense. Of course natural reproduction is first because it is natural and common and that is how most people reproduce today. I put fertility drugs as #2 because I don't think people would have a problem with a women taking drugs to help her become pregnant. For my third choice I picked carrier testing because to me there isn't anything wrong about genetic testing to see if there will be any genetic disorders passed on to their child. I put prenatal testing as four because this also tests for genes that causes disorders. I think people would still argue for my #3 and #4 choices because they may think it isn't right to test, but I don't see any problems with it. For #5 I chose Artificial Insemination because it could be helpful if a parent or both parents aren't able to reproduce normally so they can get a child, but there could also be some arguments to whether or not it is good to insert sperm into the female reproductive tract. For my 6th choice I chose Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis for Diseases because you are fertilizing sperm and egg in a petri dish and then inserted into the female reproductive tract. In can be helpful because the defective genes aren't inserted into the female reproductive tract, but it isn't naturally reproducing offspring, you are technically picking the genes. For #7 I chose In Vitro Fertilization because you are fertilizing in a petri dish and then choosing the viable embryos and inserting them into the female reproductive tract, this is controversial because you are picking the genes of your kid and personally I am against that. For my 8th choice I picked Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis for Non-deleterious Traits because fertilize the sperm and egg in a petri dish and then embryos are screened for genes and the desired genes are placed into the female reproductive tract. This is definitely controversial because a lot of people would be against people picking the genes of their children and I am against it because then the child isn't "natural". Cloning was my last choice because it is definitely the most controversial. You can't clone people because then they are exactly alike. This is very wrong and things could go wrong in cloning.

I would personally want to stop at Artificial Insemination. I would want to stop here because I can understand how some people aren't able to have babies and want to have children so they can get the sperm inserted into the female reproductive tract. Any further though in my opinion isn't good. It all has to do with picking your child's genes and if it will have any diseases or not and then leads to cloning! If we went that far then there would be many problems in the world and people who are genetically superior would end up having more rights than the people who are naturally born. This would cause chaos in the world and if people are cloned there would be two people who are exactly alike so they can act as one another which would cause problems. We should stop at Artificial Insemination because this would benefit our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment